Music Collection Maintenance
2009-06-29 : I've often wanted a tool that would allow me to rename a track in my music
collection while keeping the playlists in sync. It would also be helpful to identify which tracks
mentioned in playlists were missing, which tracks were misfiled, etc. I've written a Java program
to do this.
In this screenshot, we see that there are two copies of the Diamond Rio song
which have different names and are not in any playlists.
Plus, the playlist refers to the song by a third name that doesn't actually exist (dark gray).
By selecting all three rows and picking "canonicalize" from the menu (not shown) we get the
above dialog. The top table shows details about the available tracks such as their size
and modification date, allow the tracks to be played with a right click (shown). The track
selected in the table will be kept and the other tracks deleted. The bottom dropdown shows all the
names used to refer to the track (according to the parent window selection). The track name
entered in this box will be used for the kept track and all of the referring playlists.
Features to add:
- ability to mark known warnings as ignored (store in config file)
- delete playlist?
- view tracks in playlist / playlists in category? add/remove elements?
- Rename playlists and categories
- Play playlists
Changes: (2009-08-16, 8-29)
- Support UTF-8 playlists.
- Prelimitary support for reading categories.
- Add canonicalize: Select multiple tracks, then pick the one track to save and delete
rename the saved track, and fix all the playlist lines that referred to any of the multipl tracks
to refer to the one chosen track.
- Add undo and validation to track rename text field.
- Add tabs for tracks with names containing leading articles, not all capitals, and
- Add track rename: enter new track name (dropdown includes all name variations
used in playlists). Rename track and move to correct directory if necessary. Update all playlist
- Add multiple track delete
- Add track play and enqueue (in Winamp).
- Add filtering by track name in track tabs.
- Add missing tracks to the all-tracks list.
- Add "foreign files messages" tab.
- Add "untrimmed tracks" tab.
- Automatically perform initial scan.
- Add "tracks in wrong directory" tab.
- Add number aware sorting of track names in track tabs.
- Scan for playlists, playlist categories, and tracks.
- Add "untrimmed playlist lines" tab with fix button.
- Add "blank playlist lines" tab with fix button.
- Add "comment playlist lines" tab with fix button.
- Add "meaning of playlist line is unknown" tab
- Add "track prefix not lower case playlist lines" tab with fix button.
- Add "directory not lower case playlist lines" tab
- Add "directory not single letter playlist lines" tab
- Add "directory does not match track playlist lines" tab
- Add "playlist line refers to missing track" tab
- Add "playlist line / track case mismatch" tab
- Add "all tracks" tab
- (Initial check in.)
C o m m e n t s :